Thursday, July 8, 2010

July 2, 2010 Canadian Forces Base Trenton, Ontario









July 2, 2010 Deseronto, Ontario

Stephanie- The fireworks last night reminded me of the song titled “fireflies,” which I predictably began to sing, (pretty much the only song I know the lyrics to.) Dad awoke early and pulled the anchor and set sail before Sara or I were even awake; always the early riser. The Lucy III headed west down the beautiful Bay of Quinte for Belleville and eventually the Canadian Forces Base Yacht Club at Baker Island in Trenton, Ontario. We saw before us a promising day, and, as if to prove this, a clear, unfaltering azure sky. I was, as always, exhausted for no apparent reason, feeling zombie-like as I groped the sides of the boats' walls to keep from stumbling in the turbulence of a wave. By the time I had washed up in the cabin and finished applying all of my intricately-arranged makeup, we had almost arrived at our destination. As I helped Dad and Sara arrange all the lines so that we would be ready to dock, we spotted the marina and military base we would be staying at for the following two nights. The first piece of scenery that caught my attention was a great checkerboard tower, which we later discovered to be a lighthouse for the Canadian Forces. In the distance, I could see lots of greenery and infinite beauty. The marina was nice and the food was excellent at the Yukon Galley on base. They allowed us to use a crane to lower both masts for passage in the Trent-Severn Waterway and its low bridges.
Marc- This was an excellent stopover location. We were able to do the mast lowering as described by Stephanie with lots of help for our friend Jay Gehrig. Once the rig was secure, we moved the boat to a new dock and then I called Enterprise for the rental car. The service was excellent and the local office was just on the edge of the base. We used the car to do some shopping and sightseeing in town. We also made a stop at the best laundromat we have seen in our travels.

No comments: