Tuesday, August 15, 2017

25 July 2017 Bouctouche, N.B.

25 July 2017  Bouctouche, NB –to- Richiboucto, NB

 Bouctouche.

Marc-  The morning started well.  I went  ashore for the bath facilities at this beautiful clubhouse at Sawmill Point Marina.  Jean, the manager, was still asleep when I arrived.  I was soon followed by several other boaters from Michigan on their way to Florida.  I used the quiet time to check on my emails and office business.  This could be called a working vacation from all the work I do except on weekends. 

 Sara awoke  at 7:30 at we went over to the fuel and pump out dock.  We encountered our Michigan friends who were just leaving for Summerside, PEI   I handed them a pile of travel documents that we still had onboard. We filled one tank and emptied the other.

Calm conditions at departure as we headed down the 6 miles or so to the sea.  Winds were light out of the Northeast after rounding the Beach buoys.  We raised the Main to stabilize the boat and headed for Escouminac 48 miles away.  Unfortunately the weather forecast calling for rising NE winds to 15-20 knots and building seas was spot on.  We made it as far as Richiboucto offshore when we called it enough.  Just as we entered the bar ( the waves were breaking over the bar  since the tide was going out and the winds were coming into the inlet) the engine stopped.  We continued onward under sail alone as we found our way through the zigzag channel with breaking waves (they do have a warning about coming into this inlet in these conditions on the chart).  I called the Canadian Coast Guard with a Pan Pan message of need for a tow to get into the marina.  I knew we could sail 90 % of the way in but that last stretch of docking under sail is a bit much.  Fortunately the seas calmed once we were through the inlet and I took a look at the engine.  I guessed that it might be a clogged fuel filter and I was correct.  After the engine restart, I contacted the Coast Guard Officer at Sidney, Nova Scotia to advise that we no longer needed assistance.  She had dispatched a Coast Guard auxiliary person to come out to assist us.  We did see a 45 foot fishing boat check us out on the way in but he just continued on.  He called some time later saying that he was looking for a yellow boat.  I guess Yawl could be mistaken for yellow but what about the boat name.  All ended well and we were greeted at the Municipal marina by several locals and staff.  Just your basic marina but right in the middle of a little town.  We found the best Ice Cream place and then walked around a bit.  Sara cooked up pasta and yellow squash with some special sauce:  very tasty.

 Richiboucto.


We hope to get an early start in the morning to make up for today.  Winds are due to be light tomorrow.

No comments: