Wednesday, September 25, 2024

CODA BAHAMAS BOUND 2024-2025 (4)

 CODA : on the move again

25 September 2024

Hop-O-Nose Marina, Catskill, New York 



Catskill is famous for its cat statue competition that runs from Memorial Day to the second week of September.  The cats are along the streets where the parking meters normally are located and they are auctioned off at the end of the season.  Probably worth a few quarters.  

Marc-  Another excellent breakfast with Charlie L. aboard CODA this morning during a bit of rain.  The rain ended about 09:00 and Charlie returned to White Seal while I headed out solo to Catskill.  It was just me and the autopilot dealing with tugboats and barges.  The most interesting tugboat was pushing 9 barges, three sets of three, and took most of the river channel.  I had no trouble getting to Catskill and found my assigned slip at Hop-O-Nose Marina easily.  The staff came over in a work boat to see me and remembered CODA  and me from last June.  This was fantastic since I have apparently been promoting them and word had gotten back to them.  The result was a half price rate for my 2 night stay.  


The Cats below were all in the Town Clerk's Office at City Hall.  Apparently Catskill would not auction off these cats.



Brings a whole new meaning to the term "Catboat".


The Champ.


Traveling cat.

The only sad part of the day was not finding an open ice cream parlor.  I went back to the boat to do a few chores and to pack for my short train trip back to Vermont.  An hour before the train was to depart Hudson I summoned  Lyft on my phone App.   The initial response was good with a car to arrive in ten minutes.  Unfortunately the driver decided to do another run before me and I was still waiting in the rain 20 minutes later.  A man walking his dog stopped by when I commented that he had a cross between a poodle and a Cockapoo.  The next thing I knew he was driving me to the train station and would not accept gas money,  He drove me through some very beautiful homes only a few streets up from Main Street.  I also learned that my driver regularly runs in the Burlington, VT Marathon.  At the Hudson Train Station I ran into my new boating friends:  Nicholas and his Mom Patricia.  Patricia is taking the train to back home to Montreal.  The train left Hudson at 16:30 and will arrive at Vergennes  at 21:05 for a reasonable cost of $37.00.










No comments: