Thursday, January 28, 2021

Sailing South aboard Lucy III: 2020-2021 (Part II)

  Sombrero Marina, Marathon, Florida:  January 28, 2021

https://www.google.com/maps/@24.6982386,-81.0849577,15z

What's missing here?  The colors are incredible.

Marc-  Today we did repairs and counted on Michael to drive us around for parts.  I awoke this morning with wet feet as I got out of my bunk.  My immediate thought was a leak in the domestic water system under pressure.  I tackled this project after our five mile morning walk.  A cold front came through just in time to cool us off to 70 degrees and only 70% humidity.  After opening up the floorboards I traced the water lines looking for defects.  Parts of our water system date from the early 1970's  and are heavy walled plastic rated for use in the dairy industry.  This means that when I first installed the pressure water system in the 1990's I used old plastic tubing saved from my parents dairy farm in Vermont.   The hot water lines will expand and burst when they reach a certain age.  I discovered two areas that were expanding to twice their normal size but neither were leaking.  The wet floor was from sink runoff after washing the dishes after dinner.  When both of us went over to the port side of the boat this caused the water to drain to the floor from the countertop.  New reinforced tubing was obtained and installed.  We should not be having any leaks for a long time.  Michael did drive us over to Big Pine Key over the seven mile bridge and a few other bridges to get what we needed.

We picked up Chinese food at a local restaurant, Panda House, and brought it over to Michael's marina for dinner.  

No comments: