Monday, June 7, 2021

Sailing South aboard Lucy III: 2020-21 (Part III - returning North)

 Cornwall-on-the-Hudson Yacht Club, Cornwall-on-the-Hudson, New York:  June 7, 2021

Bear Mountain Bridge in the distance as we enter the most beautiful part of the Hudson River where it cuts through the Appalachian Mountains.

Marc-  We are tucked into this very cool marina right under Storm King Mountain. We stayed off of the boat last night at Michael and Doreen's so Steph could finish her job interview process.  We came back to Nyack this morning and off we went at 10:30 up the Hudson.  I think we only enjoyed about two hours of favorable tidal current.  We stopped at Panco Fuels in Haverstraw for fuel and pump out without incident. It was interesting to meet a trawler doing the Great Loop here as well.  As we headed North Steph took the helm and I went below to check on a few things.  After a few minutes I noticed water coming up above the floor ( not a good sign).  I removed the engine cover to find the bilge and engine compartment flooded.  I guessed that the automatic bilge pump had failed and that water was still coming in from the main drive shaft stuffing box.  Fortunately our manual bilge pump worked well and the boat was dry again after 45 minutes.  My preferred dockage spot was not responding to the phone so we decided to just go there anyway.  I know the facility at Cornwall-on-the Hudson from traveling with my father on his boat 45 years ago.   We pulled in to the fuel dock and asked for a place to stay.  Rich and Steve came to our boat and suggested that we stay the night on the protected T dock. We immediately backed out and went over where we tied up with the help of the friendly members here.  I told Rich my problem and he immediately said that he would be over with a new bilge pump and float switch.  They would not charge us for our stay.  I insisted on paying for the parts.  After fixing the boat we went over to visit Rich and his wife on their beautiful motor yacht.  He offered to take us in to Town for supplies and I asked them to join us for dinner.  They brought us to Leo's Italian Restaurant.  The food was superb and it ended up being a pre-birthday celebration of sorts for Steph.  

We expect to leave early tomorrow to take advantage of the tidal currents.






No comments: